Jan 19, 2014
GK and Current Affairs : January 5-6, 2014
1. India and which one of the following countries has recently agreed to hold third “2 plus 2” dialogue?
India and Japan agreed to hold the third “2 plus 2” dialogue and the fourth defence policy dialogue in Delhi in 2014. It was decided in the defence minister level talks between the two sides recently.
2. In international banking system, what does the TIBOR stands for ___?
[A]Tokyo Interbank Offered Rate
[B]Taiwan Interbank Offered Rate
[C]Thailand Interbank Offered Rate
[D]Tongling Interbank Offered Rate
Tokyo Interbank Offered Rate
TIBOR stands for the Tokyo Interbank Offered Rate and is a daily reference rate based on the interest rates at which banks offer to lend unsecured funds to other banks in Japan wholesale money market. TIBOR is published by the Japanese Bankers Associations.
3. According to the 2010-12 Sample Registration Survey report, which one of the following states registered lowest mortality rate in the country?
Kerala has once again gained the position of being the state with the lowest maternal mortality rate in the country. The MMR stands at 66 per one lakh live births according to the 2010-12 Sample Registration Survey report published by the centre.
4. Which among the following parties has gain majority in the 10th Parliamentary elections held in Bangladesh, recently?
[A]Awami League Party
[B]Bangladesh Worker’s Party
[C]Jatiyo Samjtantrik Dal
[D]Bangladesh Nationalist Party
Awami League Party
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s Awami League party has won 104 seats of the 147 contested in the 10th parliamentary elections concluded recently. Having won 127 seats uncontested, the Awami league has 231 seats, which gives it a clear three-fourth majority in the 10 parliament.
5. Which of the following is the theme of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2014?
[A]Engaging Diaspora: Connecting Across Generation
[B]Sharing a Common Heritage: The Emotional Connect
[C]Engaging Diaspora: Connecting All Indians
[D]One India: One World
Engaging Diaspora: Connecting Across Generation
Engaging Diaspora: Connecting Across Generation is the theme of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2014 which kicks off in New Delhi.
6. Recently, India and Nepal decided to work together for joint conservation efforts for the endangered ____?
[C]South Asian Rover Dolphin
India and Nepal is working for joint conservation efforts for the endangered tigers. The aim is to get the most accurate data on tiger population in all 11 protected areas along Nepal-India border. This will be the first time that Nepalese and Indian conservation authorities are matching the tiger populations in their respective tiger reserves.
7. Who among the following is the new chairman of NASSCOM?
Former telecom secretary R Chandrashekar took over as president of NASSCOM a body representing the $ 108 billion Indian IT-BPM industry. He succeeds Som Mittal who served as the president of Nasscom from 2007-13.
8. The “Araku Valley” known for its rich biodiversity is located in ___?
The Araku Valley is a hill station in Visakapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh. It is a valley in the Eastern Ghats inhabited by different tribes. The Anantagiri and Sunkarimetta Reserved forest which are part of Araku valley are rich in biodiversity.
9. Which one of the following committees was set up by RBI to study the various issues relating to financial benchmarks?
The RBI had set up a committee under its Executive Director P Vijaya Bhaskar on June 28,2013 with a mandate to study the various issues relating to financial benchmarks. The committee has recommended a change in the way of determining the money market benchmarks so as to remove any possible scope for manipulation along with some other recommendations.
10. What is the name of India’s satellite-based flight navigation system which has been certified by aviation regulator DGCA, recently?
GPS Aided Geo Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) system is the India’s ambitious navigation system. GAGAN would enable aircraft fitted with satellite-based augmentation equipment to use its signals in space for en route navigation and precision approach without vertical guidance over the huge air space. GAGAN is jointly developed by Airports Authority of India and ISRO.