Jan 19, 2014
GK And Current Affairs: January 11-12, 2014, January current affairs 2014
1. Which one of the following is not a capital city of South Africa?
South Africa has three capital cities: Pretoria, Cape Town and Bloemfontein. Pretoria is the administrative capital and seat of the President of the cabinet. Cape Town is the legislative capital and the seat of the nation’s parliament. Bloemfontein serves as the judicial capital.
2. Name the first woman lawyer to file public interest litigation (PIL) to earn the title “Mother of PIL” who passed away, recently___?
Kapila Hingorani, who more than three decades ago became the first woman lawyer to file a public interest litigation on behalf of voiceless under-trial prisoners in Bihar to earn the title “Mother of PIL’ has passed away.
3. In which among the following countries “Tenharim” tribal people are living?
[D]Republic of Congo
The Tenharim are an indigenous people of Brazil, living in the state of Amazonas.
4. As per the decision of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), all non-machine readable passports will be phased out globally by____?
All non-machine readable passports (Non-MRP) are to be phased out globally by November 2015 in accordance with the decision of the International Civil Aviation Organisation.
5. Which one of the following is not a member country of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation “(BIMSTEC)?
The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation “(BIMSTEC) is an international organisation involving a group of countries in South Asia and South East Asia. These are: Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan and Nepal.
6. The Palatana power project the biggest gas-based power project in the north-eastern region has been commissioned recently by___?
The Palatana power project is ONGC’s first commercial power project in the country started commercial production in Tripura. The project is expected to ease the power problem of seven of the eight north-eastern states.
7. Which among the following has become the first in the country to implement foreign tracking system?
Tamil Nadu and Puducherry have become the first in the country to implement the Immigration, Visa, Foreigner Registration and Tracking (IVFRT) system from December 1, 2013. The system, part of national e-governance project facilitates integrated visa and immigration services to foreigners, capture information about visiting foreigners.
8. Name the Indian who has become the first male junior badminton player from India to be ranked top in the world?
Young shuttler Aditya Joshi from Madhya Pradesh has become the first male junior badminton player from India to be ranked top in the world. Aditya, 17, recently got the number one slot in the recent ranking of the World Badminton Federation (WBF).
9. Which among the following Planet pole is the only known hot polar vortex in our solar system?
Saturn’s South Pole is the only known hot polar vortex in the solar system.
10. What is India’s ranking in the recently released Nuclear Materials Security Index?
India has been ranked 23rd out of 25 countries in the 2014 Nuclear Threat Initiative’s Nuclear Materials Security Index. India received 41 out of 100 points, which is improvement by one point from the 2012score. In the list China has ranked 20th and Pakistan stands at 22nd place.